12 of the Most Dangerous WordPress Security Vulnerabilities This 2019

Running WordPress or any CMS (content management system) without sufficient security is like owning a warehouse and leaving the key under the mat for thieves. But even with security, being hacked is becoming the new fact of life for many online business owners, content publishers, and digital marketers.

Attackers can easily access your confidential data and private information once they hack your digital properties. You can lose significant market share immediately after it gets out that you’re websites and apps have been compromised. For example, this 2018 Fortune report says that Facebook lost over $13 billion in stock value when news broke out about a data breach that affected more than 29 million users worldwide. Meanwhile, The Manifest claims that their research last year indicates around 44% of all Facebook users started frequenting this social media platform much less after learning about this security issue.

The problem is that in general, we’re unaware of potential risks and how easy it is for us to improve the security of our digital properties. So today, we’re going to examine 12 of the biggest security problems of many WordPress operators this year. We’re also going to look at ways you can improve the security of your site. Finally, we’ll review 6 of the most popular WordPress security Plugins available right now.

But before we delve into different security issues, we need to understand which parts of WordPress offer the most vulnerability.


WordPress Security

This report states that 37% of hacks were caused by issues from the WordPress core. Meanwhile, the remaining 63% came from thousands of rogue WordPress themes and tampered plugins.


  1. Top 12 WordPress Security Issues of the Year

  2. 1. Not Keeping WordPress Updated

  3. 2. Installing Low-Quality WordPress Themes & Plugins

  4. 3. Brute Force Login Attacks

  5. 4. Not Using a WordPress Security Plugin

  6. 5. Lack of Formidable Firewall Applications

  7. 6. WordPress Plugin & Theme Hoarding

  8. 7. Not Controlling Your Admin Users

  9. 8. Shared Hosting Instead of Managed WordPress Hosting

  10. 9. Failing to Backup Your WordPress Sites & Databases

  11. 10. Not Making the Most of WordPress Default Security Features

  12. 11. Insufficient Scanning

  13. 12. Backdoors

  14. 8 Quick & Easy Ways to Protect WordPress

  15. 1. Testing WordPress Plugins & Themes

  16. 2. Spring-Cleaning Your WordPress Plugins