Just like Whatsapp, Facebook’s new feature of messenger called a “Secret conversation” provide the end to end encryption which means that the messages are intended just for you and the other person—not anyone, including Facebook. In the secret conversation both the sender and receiver have a device key that you can use to verify that the messages are end-to-end encrypted. However, unlike Whatsapp, the end-to-end encryption setting will not be default and users can choose to turn it on.
How to Start a Secret Conversation on Facebook Messenger?
The Secret Conversations are currently available in the Messenger app on iOS and Android, so they won’t appear on Facebook chat or messenger.com. To Turn on the secret conversation follow the given steps.
Firstly, the user will have to tap on friend’s name, and just above the Audio call and Video call options, you can see the ‘Secret Conversation’ option (if the update has rolled out to you).
2. Tap Secret Conversations.
3. Switch to ON Position.
4. Once click on the secret conversation you will see “This will be the only device you can use to send and receive encrypted messages.”
5. Tap Turn On to enable Secret Conversations.
6. You can now start an end-to-end encrypted chatting session.
7. You can also select see a clock in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
8. Set a timer to have your messages disappear from the conversation.
9. If yo want to abort the action click on cancel button.
Note: You might not be able to start a Secret Conversation with everyone, even if you have the update because the other person might still not have the feature.
The Secret conversations can be read on only one device. So if you start a secret chat on Facebook Messenger on your smartphone, then don’t expect to see them on your desktop as wellFacebook Messenger’s Secret conversations only visible on the device where you create the conversation and the device the recipient uses to open the conversation.
Keep in mind that the person you’re messaging could choose to share the conversation with others (ex: a screenshot). However, Secret conversations don’t support group messages, GIF’s, videos, voice or video calling or payments.